It was 5 in the evening, we were hungry and there’s nothing to snack on in the kitchen since I haven’t got the chance to go grocery shopping due to the super tight schedule. Oh, and we’ve been eating takeouts quite a lot too since I just don’t have the time! Don’t we all wish for MORE TIME?? However, I do have some leftover mashed potatoes sitting in the fridge from last night. No gravy, which I assume that the mash will end up in the bin soon. I hate to waste so I made some tater tots for snacking. Yeay! fried food! (sorry weight watchers, this ain’t for ya)
Tater Tots are just hash browns in mini cylinder form popular around the US, a regular menu item in their fast food chains. Well, again, tsk tsk tsk. But we were hungry and too lazy to go out! If you don’t have leftover mash, grate the potatoes, put the potatoes into a kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess liquid and just mix them with the ingredients below.(this is actually how they’re originally made)
- Oil, for frying
- 2 1/2 -3 cups of mashed potatoes (I made mine with 4 russet potatoes boiled, butter, cream cheese, black pepper)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder(optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Panko Crumbs/ Bread crumbs
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pot.
- Mix all the ingredients above. Shape them into little cylinders.
- Coat them in bread crumbs.
- Let them sit for a while and fry em till golden brown.
Serve hot with chilli sauce, ketchup or what ever you prefer to go with your tots! nyum nyum!