I love ginger snaps and I love scones. This gingerbread scones makes THEEE perfect combo. The house smells nice baking it too! Great for breakfast on the go or even a tea party food. I know most recipes bakes them in triangles but I prefer them round like this. This recipe of a sweet spicy crumbly pastry will definitely be used over and over again!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 egg yolk (reserve white)
- 1/3 cup molasses/ treacle
- 1/4 cup milk
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar (the original recipe calls for 2 cups.yikes!)
- 2 teaspoons milk or cream
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolk, molasses, butter and milk.
- Gently combine the two mixtures, being careful not to over mix.
- Flatten dough into a 1 inch thick portion and cut into triangles or circles.
- Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Brush with the reserved egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 200 degrees oven for 8-12 minutes.
- Remove while still slightly soft.
For the glaze:
- Mix the sugar and milk until its creamy, and dip each cooled scone into it.
- Allow to dry on wax paper.
Adapted from: http://thevillagecook.com/