Another Malay confinement Menu! Pretty bored with fish, I made this chicken ball and daikon soup. Daikon is believed to have a ‘magical power’ to increase breastmilk production. I have not really witness it yet. But ‘they’ say it does, so this is one simple dish you could make using daikon.
Chicken Balls Recipe:
- 1 large chicken breast grounded/ about 300-400 gm of ground chicken
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp of chopped spring onion
- 1 Tbsp of chopped celery
- 1 Tbsp of cornflour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 daikon cut into thin slices
- 2 shallots sliced
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to season
- Spring onion to garnish
- Boil the sliced daikon first till tender and discard water.This is to remove its bitterness. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix all Chicken Ball ingredients in a bowl and form into tiny meatballs, set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a pot, saute shallots, garlic and ginger till fragrant and add in water. Simmer and season well with salt and pepper.
- When the soup is almost boiling, drop in the chicken balls and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the bolied daikon and cook for another minute or two.
- Serve with jasmine rice or eat them just like that!