Magically and fortunately, my 3 year old loveeeessss broccoli! And it’s quite weird that she won’t eat mac and cheese unless there’s broccoli in them. You make mummy happy Aleysha! hehe! I guess broccoli and cheese are just perfect together. I added in some protein-shredded roasted chicken, for texture and more tummy satisfaction. Perfect easy, cozy meal on a lazy Sunday lunchtime!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh grated nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed or boiled till just cooked.
- 2 cups of shredded roasted chicken
- Cook macaroni as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir 5 min. or until crisp-tender. Stir in flour and mustard; cook and stir 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk, cooking and stirring after each addition until slightly thickened. Add in a dash of fresh grated nutmeg.Simmer on low heat 5 to 7 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 2 cups of cheese; stir until melted.
- Cheese is salty, however, season with pepper and salt if needed.
- Toss in cooked pasta,shredded chicken and broccoli and stir to coat with cheese.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Spoon into casserole dish; top with remaining parmesan cheese and paprika.
- BAKE 15 min. or until heated through and the top has browned.