I totally ran out of ideas to make breakfast for my little fussy eater before she heads to play school. As for my husband and I, toast,cereal or eggs works just fine. And we typical Malaysians; Mamak stops before shooting off to the office is another option. So anyways, I figured since she loves doughnut so much, I’d make them for her. BUT, who would have the time to make doughnuts in the morning, unless it’s a speedy version, The Spanish Churros. Since I already have chocolate sauce in my fridge, I managed to make this in less than half an hour. And the most important thing is that she LOVES IT! Yeay! We had these on the balcony pretending we’re enjoying breakfast in Spain.Hehe!
Here’s how to make about 10 medium sized Churros.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- A pinch of Soda Bicarbonate (if you don’t have them, it works just fine but not as fluffy)
- 2 Tbsp of white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil/vegetable oil
- Oil for frying
- 1/3 cup white sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, sugar, salt and olive oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball.
- Heat oil for frying in a deep skillet to 190 degrees C. Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag and a star tip.
- Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Optional Chocolate Dip: Just melt chocolate bar with some milk and butter.